pregnancy

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Calling all opinions: HELP!

So in July our lease is up. My grandma has inheirited a house from a friend and she will let me live in it for "cheap" (keep in mind my grandma has a problem with honesty. To be fair I think the has a mental condition...or several). She started out saying rent would be $250 a month and then it was $350 so by July? Who knows.

The problem is I can't decide if I want to live there. It has some pros and cons but it's seriously a hard decision. I took some pictures of the inside when we first started cleaning it. I should have taken better ones. This is where the washer and drier go.
This is one angle of the kitchen. Some of the cabinet doors are missing. The sink and faucet leak so it'll have to be replaced. I'll probably paint the cabinets white if we live there.
This is another angle of the kitchen. Sorry it's sideways. The guy that lived here before was a horrible slob and hoarder. This picture was taken after we got everything off the floor. Things were stacked as tall as me! The fridge will be replaced...it was gross.
Another angle of the kitchen. Another one of the drawer faces had fallen off and there is this fake brick on the backwash. I'm going to try and get that removed and put tile. I'm not sure what that powdery stuff was on the floor, but I think it might be poison for the cockroaches. Yeah...this house was GROSS. While it's been empty we've been bombing it every so often and they seem to be going away...or hybernating at least. There are dead ones all over the place...
This is one angle of the living room. Again, this is after we cleaned up a bit. That thing in between the two bookshelves is a wood burning fireplace.
He liked to feed the birds outside, but the bags of food would get lost in the mess and become food for the mice.
This is the other angle of the living room. The doorway on the right goes to the kitchen.
This is the first and smallest bedroom. We took out ALL of the carpet in this house so there is a relief. That is a hospital bed that smelled like pee... it was too big to go out the door so my parents took it out the window and put it in the garage. My grandma was MAD and yelled at my dad for taking it out and putting it in the garage. She wants to take it home to Effingham and we have no clue why she was so angry.
This is the master bedroom. It is smaller than the room we have now. It kinda cool because it has two windows, but the window on the right faces the neighbor's house, which is kinda weird. We'll be getting extra thick blinds for that side of the house.
This is my least favorite room in the house. Upon first looking at it my first words were, "WHO PUTS A WINDOW IN THE SHOWER?!" Seriously...I want to know. It's not a small window, either. Then, I acutally looked at the bathroom and realized nothing in that room wasn't moldy. Everything from the window curtian to the cabinets. Luckily my dad is in the process of gutting the entire thing. My grandma wants to keep the tub, but it has rust on it... who wants to take a tetinus bath?
Seriously...

Okay so there is a 3rd bedroom. It looks a lot like the first, so I'm not going to post any more pictures.
Some pros for living in this house:
Got a garage (that needs a new door)
no attached neighbors
walking distance to Parkland
closer to work
fenced in back yard (with these pole things you can attach string to so you can hang your laundry)
cheaper rent (so far)
fire place
I can see the fire dept from my back window and I could walk to the post office
Getting to mow the lawn...I was never allowed to do it when I lived with my parents. I've always wanted to try it at the very least.

Cons:
Not the greatest neighborhood. It's not that much worse than where I live now, though. (grandma said she'll buy me a nice big labrador if we move there, though)
One of the neighbors lets her dogs roam wherever they want. No leash at all.
The house still needs A LOT of work.
Grandma will make me pay renter's AND owner's insurance
I'll have to buy a fridge. Might have to buy an oven if grandma won't.
Having to pack my stuff and move...again. Meaning I'll have to wax the townhome's floor and re-paint the walls back to beige.

That's all I can think of, now. I'll post some pictures of how the house is cleaning up.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I forgot to mention that any time my grandparents are in town (ie basketball games or doctor's appointments) and they have to stay in town, my smallest bedroom becomes a free hotel room for as long as they need to stay. That is one of their requirements... They like to bring their flea/tick infested dogs with them whom aren't house trained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be very careful renting/buying from family with out a solid contract. Even then it is most likely to end with someone having hurt feelings.

    ReplyDelete